Wednesday 11 January 2012

2A-5 - Self Activity 4 - Reflections on Spreadsheets for Administrative Purposes

This Activity was a powerful one in that I discovered just how powerful a tool Excel is. I have been using it to input data and sort them alphabetically but have never used it to calculate data. Now I am aware of possibilities that exist in using this program I sure will be using it and I know it will make me much more efficient in calculating my grades and averages and even to analyze the statistics. It is a great administrative tool.
Even though I am not a confident Excel user I found the activity to be totally engaging in that as I began I found myself wanting to continue to gain more knowledge. I manage to get up to Step 11. 

Even though Steps 9 - 14 were not required to be done by "New Users" I decided to  attempt them because of the engaging nature of the activity and to gain knowledged and equip myself. However I found that the steps began getting very "techy" at Step 10 but I experimented and  consulted with my colleage Karen Pioche who provided an excellent explanation. Thanks Mrs. P.
 The question was asked in Step 10 "Why is K made absolute?"  I was able to learn what is an Absolute reference and what is a Relative reference. Hence the answer to the question is that "K is made absolute to keep the cell range from changing so that the totals could be calculated correctly;"

The layout of the activity was an excellent one in terms of the Instructions given ( simple language) and not too much to be done in each step. Also the addition of "tabs" which gives explanation and more information about certain subtopics allowed for easy understanding of the process. It is the perfect way of how an online lesson should be constructed.

I am excited to learn more about using Excel.

No comments:

Post a Comment