Monday 23 January 2012

2A-5 - Activity 7 Part 2 - One Computer Classroom

This activity was an interesting one. I continue to see Excel (spreadsheet) as such a powerful and useful tool.

Once again it tapped into my teacher artistry and resource to come up with an appropriate and creative response for this Activity.

Being a Visual Arts Teacher I  tend to focus on doing activities which focus on my subject area. However I was unable to find an appropriate activity to engage in using spreadsheet in Visual Arts. So I decided to  focus on  my second best subject - Geography ( I did teach it in my earlier teaching life) and what better topic to use than "Weather" to teach this one computer concept.
I did quite a lot of brainstorming as to how to teach the topic and I must say that I am pleased with what I came up with even though now that I am thinking about it I can see how I can further improve on it.

Even though it as Geography, I realise that it would still allow for some creativity in terms of the use of colour and texture for the graphs and charts, back ground colour, smoothing out the line graph and so on. So again some Art will come into play.

In addition completing this activity indicates and further drives home the point that despite the unavailability of resources, a very good teacher is able to use limited resources to effectively teach once there is proper and effective planning.

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Richardson:
    Your ideas and suggestions are quite good. However, I hope that eventually the one computer classroom will disappear from our schools. I know that right now we are not even that, but with the new emphasis on ICT, it should not be too far off.

    ReplyDelete