Saturday 9 February 2013

Module 7_Activity 2: A vision for my subject in the 21st Century (REFLECTION)

    As I reflect on carrying out this activity a quote by Debbie Greh (2002) used in the conclusion of my MA dissertation about how Art Educators in Antigua-Barbuda conceptualise ICT  in relation to their teaching practice came to mind. It states " As a teacher of Art, your most important task is to teach Art - not computers, not software, not Photoshop or KidPix or CorelDraw. TEACH ART: teach theory; teach concepts; teach aesthetics and criticism; teach design; teach drawing... Computers and related technologies are just tools you can utilize while teaching Art to your students".
    In short as I reflect about the activity and the information about the elements of 21st century education I realise that the rradical change which is need in the 21st century has begun to take place in my teaching practice carried out in  my subject area of Visual Arts. The teaching of skills - creativity skills, communicative and collaborative skills, ICT skills, life and carrer skills, learning and innovative skills as well as  creating independent thinkers are all part of what I have been doing in my class using  the traditional methods and  a limited amount of the technology so that learners can be motivated to learn and to begin to take responsibility for their learning. The key elements of 21st century education is providing that platform to use the various technologies (hardware, software and internet resources) to enhance the learning expereince of learners through the enhancing of my teaching repertoire to teach Visual Arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment