Monday 17 September 2012

1-1 Activity 2 Information Processing Approaches

While going through the reading material for this activity  with the idea in mind that the deadline expires within a few hours I realised that old feelings about learning was coming up. I found myself asking  the question "But I don't understand what I am reading?". I was underlining as I read but was still feeling confused  and kept
 saying to myself that I am a practical learner and that I learn by doing. However, I kept reading and underlining until I came to  Section 1.2.2 about helping learners remember what they learn. As I read this section I realised that I needed to employ a learning strategy and to find an appropriate tactic to help me. A light bulb went off in my head.
I started reading over from the start taking paragraph by paragraph  and extracting the main points and reflecting on my  teaching  and compare it with what I was reading to see if and how I had been helping my students to learn. As I began employing this strategy, the reading material began to make much sense to me.
I guess that because I had a deadline to meet and that I needed to complete the Activity to meet a specific deadline that I needed to grasp the concept. I realise that I had to find a strategy to help me understand and complete the task and to be responsible for my learning. I was able to reflect and to use past experiences to assist in strategizing my learning.

2 comments:

  1. That is the whole idea Bernard. Devising strategies to enhance learning and that is what we should encourage our students to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure Mrs Roberts, its all about Educational Change and that is one of the reasons why I went into teaching to be a better teacher than my teachers because some of them who taught me , at the time of teaching I felt they weren't doing a good job. Hence I am always looking for new and exciting ways to teach my classes to capture and hold the students attention and to make sure that learning is taking place and to empower them.

    ReplyDelete